How much protein to eat to gain muscle mass
Working hard in the gym is only the half of battle when it comes to building muscle. The other part takes place in the kitchen and directly refers to what you eat. Muscle are composed 25% of protein and the other 75% belongs to water and carbohydrates. So, in order to make them grow we have to ensure the a minimal amount of protein intake.
The big question is “how much protein is enough for gaining muscle fast” and indeed it’s very important to know which quantity of protein fit your body needs as too much of it can be dangerous, while to less leads to no results.To find out the golden middle is the key toward a successful muscle building.
There are two ways largely used for calculating the required amount of protein for maximum gains:
1. Consume 1g of protein for each pound of body weight.
This is the most popular way among bodybuilders to detect how much protein they need. Pretty easy to calculate. For example, a person who weighs 200 pounds have to eat 200 gr of protein daily.
Here is a big BUT. This formula is not right for those with high level fat. For this category of people 1 gr of protein for each body weight is too much. This is how we get to the second formula which is more precise and take into the account the level of fat too.
2. Multiply the lean muscle mass in kg to 2,75 and get daily dose of protein.
For this you have to determine which is your fat percentage. Make the measurements of your height, weight and waist and calculate your body fat online. Just do a search of “body fat percentage calculator” on google and you will get dozens of tools available for free to help you with this task.
For example, if you weight 80 kg, which means 176 lbs and your body fat percentage is 14% then determine your lean muscle mass this way:
* 14% x 80kg=11,2 kg
* 80kg-11, 2 kg= 68.8 kg
68,8 kg is the weight of lean muscle mass
*68,8kg x2.75= 189, 2 gr is the required protein intake daily.
So, for a person who weight 176 Lbs the needed amount of protein for maximal muscle gains is 189gr of protein for day.
Setting up the amount of protein needed based on your lean muscle mass is more accurate since an overweight people following the first rule will far exceed the real amount of protein he needs for muscle growth.
The more protein you eat, the better it is
This stereotype is firmly fixed in the believes of most bodybuilders. But it is not true. Our bodies has the great ability to just eliminate the surplus of protein every time it occurs. The higher amounts of proteins intake have to be accompanied with intensive workouts during which muscles are broken and needs more protein for recovery. Sedentary individuals who aim to build muscle by increasing the rate of proteins are doomed to failure.
The best it to avoid extremes. Especially if you take your proteins from supplements. Taking too much of it can affect your kidney and this is really bad.
Eating too less protein will not help you to build muscle, while too much of it will not be absorbed. The downside is that by eating too much protein you reduce the carbs and fat intakes which are tremendous for having energy.
Stick to the moderate doses advised above. A relatively fat man who weighs 180 lbs should eat about 190 or even 200 gr of protein per day. The higher is the body fat level, the more careful you have to be with amount of protein you eat.
Best sources of protein
Not all proteins are equal. There are two types of protein you can take form food: complete proteins comes from animal source and incomplete proteins from vegetables.
Proteins from animal sources are more rapidly used by muscles for recovery and regeneration. The proteins from plant sources have a lower biological level, meaning that they are more slowly absorbed by muscles.
In this connection, the higher is the biological level of protein the faster it is absorbed by muscles. For example, eggs are given 100% of biological level, beef- 80% , while beans are given lower than 50%.
Whey protein have a very high biological level up to 104%. This means it is a great alternative for all those who have difficulties with eating meat, eggs or other kind of foods. However, keep the dosage to your needs and do not go with more just because you want tremendous muscle gains in short time.
The answer to the question from the title is that right dosage of protein for ensuring maximal gains should varies around 1- 1,5 gr of protein for each pounds of body weight. But if you are an overweight individual who look to lose weight as well, than the better would be to determine your daily necessary of protein using the method of calculating shared above.
For most of lean individuals going with a higher than average dosage of protein would give only benefits. Not even a near effects would be achieved if you decide to take a half dose of even less. In order to grow your muscles need foods, and if you do not give it they will not increase in size.