Generic Name: testosterone topical
Brand Names: Androderm, AndroGel 2.5 g/packet, AndroGel 5 g/packet, AndroGel Packets, AndroGel Pump 1.25 g/actuation, Axiron, FIRST-Testosterone, FIRST-Testosterone MC, Fortesta, Testim, Vogelxo
AndroGel’s primary ingredient is testosterone, a male hormone that is produced naturally by the body, and an important component for many bodily functions.
AndroGel assist the body in supplementing the testosterone level that a male body cannot produce anymore.
AndroGel may also be used for other purposes that may not be included in this medication guide.
Men with male breast cancer (prostate cancer) should not use AndroGel.
- AndroGel should not be used by a female.
Pregnant female that injects testosterone can cause severe birth defects in an unborn baby. At all cost, a pregnant woman should not come into contact with AndroGel, or with a man's skin where the gel has been applied. If contact has been made, wash thoroughly and immediately with soap and water.
- Topical testosterone is primarily absorbed through the skin and can cause harmful effects.
- If a child or a woman comes into contact, Symptoms of being a male can be observed from the person who came in contact with.
Immediate Medical Attention Needs to Be Administered Once a Contact Has Been Made. Symptoms May Include:
- Develops enlarged genitals,
- Premature pubic hair,
- Increased libido,
- Aggressive behavior,
- Male-pattern baldness,
- Excessive body hair growth,
- Irregular menstrual periods,
- Increased acne,
- Or any signs of male characteristics.
AndroGel should not be taken if an individual has:
- Heart disease or history of heart attack or stroke
- Sleep apnea (breathing stops during sleep)
- Cancer history
- Liver disease or kidney disease
- Enlarged prostate or urination problems
- A history of blood clots
Older men users of AndroGel may have a bigger risk of prostate enlargement or cancer. Men, aged 65 and older are advised to discuss first with their doctor about the risk of taking such medication.
A young man, 18 years old and below, should avoid getting in contact with AndroGel.
How to use AndroGel?
- Proper compliance is needed if one will use AndroGel. One should follow the doctor’s specific instruction. Directions on the prescription label should also be followed. The exact amount of AndroGel should be used at all times, as prescribed by the doctor in charge.
- AndroGel should only be applied to the shoulders and upper arms that can completely be covered by a short sleeve T-shirt. Wash hand appropriately with soap and water after every use. One should keep in mind the health hazard that other individuals may have if they get to have a skin contact. Adequate protection should also be given to another person. Avoid skin-to skin contact at all times unless necessary.
- Testosterone gel should be applied to a dry area of the skin after taking a shower. Give at least 5 minutes of drying time before putting on clothes. One should also avoid showering, swimming or bathing for the next 2 hours after applying the gel.
- Treated areas of the skin should be covered adequately to avoid other people being exposed to it. If the inevitable happened, inform the person to immediately wash the infected area with soap and water.
- Regular blood testing is required for individuals using AndroGel.
- To ensure the benefit is maximized with the medication, AndroGel should be applied regularly. Prescription should be refilled before the medicine runs out completely.
- The Andogel should be stored in a cool and dry place.
Missing a dose
The Androgel should be applied immediately in case of a missed dose. If the time for the next dose is near, skipped the missed dose. It is not advisable to use the extra gel to make up the missed dose.
In Case of Overdose
Medical attention is needed in case of overdose or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Things to Avoid While Using AndroGel
- Do not apply this medicine to your penis or your scrotum.
- Avoid swimming, bathing, or showering for 2 to 5 hours after applying testosterone gel. Follow the directions provided with your specific brand.
- Androgel may be flammable, avoid using the gel near open flame. Do not smoke until the gel has completely dried on your skin.
AndroGel Side Effects:
Medical assistance should be sought immediately if there are signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Difficulty breathing,
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call a Doctor Immediately If Any of This is Currently Happening:
- Increased urination (many times per day), loss of bladder control;
- Painful or difficult urination;
- Breast pain or swelling;
- Painful or bothersome erections;
- Swelling, rapid weight gain, shortness of breath during sleep;
- Chest pain or pressure, pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder;
- Liver problems - nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, tired feeling, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- Signs of a blood clot in the lung - chest pain, sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood; or
- Signs of a blood clot in your leg - pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs.
Common Androgel side effects may also include:
- Redness, itching, burning, hardened skin or other irritation where the medicine was applied;
- Headache, mood changes;
- Increased red blood cells (may cause dizziness, itching, redness in your face, or muscle pain);
- Vomiting, diarrhea;
- Strange dreams;
- Frequent or prolonged erections; or
- High blood pressure - severe headache, blurred vision, pounding in your neck or ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
The following should be Immediately stopped when using AndroGel, especially:
- A steroid such as prednisone (Sterapred), methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- A blood thinner (Coumadin, Jantoven, warfarin) and others.
There may be other drugs that may interact with testosterone. It is always advisable to discuss issues with a doctor.Let's be friends on: